Monday, July 12, 2010

Who Needs GPS?

Apparently, not me.  Well, I shouldn't give too much credit, but for the first time, this morning, I successfully navigated to and from a location without any computerized assistance.  In the West, I wouldn't really think of this any type of noteworthy accomplishment.  This is because there are generally no more that 1 or 2 routes a person can take to get anywhere.  Take for example our route to get to the Ocean this weekend (Baltimore, MD to Selbyville, DE).  We traveled 111 miles on this route:

View Larger Map
Which required the use of 10 different roads, without a GPS, I would have been lost at least 15 times.  This is compounded by the detour we hit that didn't ever tell you where to go once your were detouring.  So there was some GPS-flip-a-coin decisions involved.
Now, a similar drive of about 100 miles would get a person from Gallup, NM to Pueblo Pintado, NM.  The route is drastically simpler:

View Larger Map
Three roads total in the navigation of this route.
My victory came as I took Alan to the airport this morning.  I boldly stepped into the car without even thinking about turning on the GPS.  All I knew what that I wanted to get onto I-95 Southbound and that signs for some other road (maybe 195?) would pop up that would direct me right to the airport.  That it did.  There I went.  Home I came.  Then I looked up the map to add to this blog post:

View Larger Map
Totally went the really long way around. I'll get it figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment