Saturday, July 17, 2010

Finally Something That Looks Like The Wire

Last night we had a great time with Landon, Brandon, Evan, and Annie at No Idea. I didn't think we would end up there all night, especially after the bartender started talking about how much he loved the Pirates (not the lovable peg-leg kind, the actual baseball team). But he did shovel free drinks down my throat all night, and, what can I say? I am easy. The end of the night came and Brandon headed South in his ZipCar, Landon, Evan and Annie North in a cab, but you guys missed all the good stuff at the end. As we crossed the street I noticed 6 squad cars parked up W.Heath, completely cutting off traffic. As I looked up, I noticed that there were a lot of cops with flashlights and drawn guns. Normally this is the kind of thing that I would stick around to check out, but I decided we could just finish the half-block walk home immediately.
I had a lot of flashbacks to advice (which anyone who knows me knows I very rarely take, listen too, or remember).  1.  The guy at Marcus-Boyd Realty that said, "I just wouldn't walk around at night by myself."  2.  The girl at Marcus-Boyd that said she frequently asks cops for rides home.  3.  Neighbor Mark who said, "You never need to stay at a bar until closing time.  Nothing good ever happens at closing time.  Know when its closing time and leave at least 15 minutes before that".
Why I can't remember this last one is beyond me, because it is truly sage advice.  Well, shit got crazy at closing time, but we were safe behind our apt. door by the time it got real bad.  The video is awful on account of all you see is the squad lights, but I do some decent-for-unintended narration.  It starts with a bunch of guys trying to fight a tall skinny dude in the middle of the street.  I guess the cops from the other block took care of business or gave up because they were quick on the scene of this one.  Thanks Baltimore PD!  You seem very efficient and timely.  I got to get to watching The Wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment