Thursday, July 8, 2010

Southern Fried

In my time here I have been taunted with the odd foods consumed in these parts, but in all honesty, I am finding out they may not be that odd.  Well, let's start with the least and go to most.
Scrapple:
The name sounds daunting.  What is this stuff and do I dare eat it?  They had some turkey scrapple at the market the other day and it seemed like a safe way  into the traditionally pork product, so I decided to try it out.


It's basically sausage pate.  Pretty classy if you ask me.

Now this is similar to something else, called Puddin (not a mistake, no need for a "g" here), which I tried to order at breakfast the other day, but Alan informed me that I would not like it.  Puddin is more of a meat mash of sorts.  It is apparently the left-overs from a cooked pork that settles on the bottom of a pot and then gets scraped up and fried.  Maybe someone will have some on their plate that I can sample.

Softshell crabs are maybe the most daring fare.  A softshell crab is a crab that has molted its shell and is caught before the shell has regrown.  The crabs are deep fried whole and usually served on toast.  I've had it in sushi (Spider Roll) but haven't ventured into the Maryland style yet.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, I have to tell you that this is most likely the most interesting blog I have ever read. And I think I've kept with it the longest too. I'm sorry to hear that Alan's dad was in the hospital, and I hope he is doing ok. And by the way...don't eat the scrapple. GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. I still have over half the scrapple left, and i hate to be wasteful. ;)

    ReplyDelete