Monday, August 16, 2010

Rub

We finished a pretty stellar weekend, starting Thursday at the Raven's game, followed by a weekend at the lake with dinner at Rub, a Texas-style BBQ about 5 blocks from our place on the South-End of Light St.  The building was in a perfect spot and had tons of room, unlike a lot of the former-row-house types that you mostly find in SoBo.  The wall was adorned with pictures drawn from kids professing their love for Rub, but don't let that make you think that this is a family-only joint.  The bar is plentiful and stocked not just with tons of tap and bottled beer and booze, but there are 15 or so different frozen beverages that you can get.  I tried to go with a margarita, but they were out, so I opted for something that was pina colada'ish.  It was really tasty, but after one I switch to beer.  The Sunday special had me pounding Coors Lights for only $2 a piece.
So, on to the food.  For 10-15 bucks you can get a platter with your favorite BBQ, but what is even better, especially as a first time visitor, is for $16 you can get three meats, plus two sides.  With two people there, that means you can try just about all the meats, and about 1/3 of the offered sides.  So here is the review of what we had.
Alan:
Sausage:  Good enough, neither of us would probably get this on its own, but it was spicy and the texture was a perfectly dry smoke
Smoked Turkey:  This is one of Alan's favorite meats and he wasn't disappointed.  It is always a little odd to me to eat turkey that tastes like ham, but with this one it didn't matter, and it didn't need any sauce, it was great on its own.
Brisket:  I think that I like my brisket to be cooked sloppy.  It just wasn't doing it for me to do the dry-rubbed with my own sauce.  To me, it is just too close to roast beef when it is done this way.
Beans:  Spicy and sweet, half texas-style pinto, and half baked beans with a BBQ-y thickness.
Coleslaw:  It was alright, kind of tasted like slaw you would get from the deli, but we are kind of ruined after tasting the slaw at Mother's.
Shannon:
Pulled Pork:  Good, but a bit vinegary for my taste, probably would only get it on a sandwich
Flat ribs:  Some of the...wait for it... best ribs I have ever had.  I am quite finicky about ribs and these were good.  The meat was just dry enough, but still fall-off-the-bone and was great with or without sauce.
Chicken:  Sweet and tender with good spices coating the outside.  I wouldn't get it again, based on how awesome the ribs were, but Alan said it was one of his favorites.
Corn Pudding:  I had just asked what this was a few days ago, so I was excited to try.  I was overly impressed, and Alan about lost himself in it.  It was a sweet and spicy concoction of bread, corn, Serrano peppers and milk.  I wouldn't be able to resist this ever.
Mac N Cheese:  Really good, very creamy the combo of pepper jack and American cheeses.  The garlic was a little harsh at first, but after a few bites it earned its keep.
Click here to see the whole album.

No comments:

Post a Comment