Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm The Icecream Man, Stop Me When I'm Passing By...

Sunday was a walkabout adventure of sorts.   The morning started by watching 8 episodes of Arrested Development, which was a perfect cure for the heat that is setting back in, after a week of slightly relaxed temps.   In the afternoon we decided to find a place to get a pizza in the neighborhood.  We were pretty set on PubDog, but unfortunately they didn't open until 5, so we wandered into The Abbey Burger Bistro.  I had heard that this is the place to get a burger, not just in SoBo, but in B'more, so it seemed like a sure win.
Hennepid Belgian Ale at The Abbey
That's what I get for high expectations.  The Abbey was, ok.  The burger was good, but shaped like Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which made it a little sloppy and hard to eat.  The Service was. meh... We got a couple of mix ups in out pretty simple order and my beer raneth dry a few times.  The two big wins were the Hennepin Ale from Ommegang, which was a perfect beer for the hot day, light and fruity, but with a punch and strong spicy flavors; and the Onion rings, which tasted like they were straight from a carnival midway:  big, fluffy beer batter that covered the whole onion and was fairly soaked in oil.  I only ate two, which is about all that a heart could possible handle.
Philly Burger
Hawaiin Burger and Rings










We walked back to our place, and, as always, there is something interesting to be seen along the way.  In fact, I finally snapped some shots of stuff I have been meaning to for awhile, but never seem to have my camera when I pass by.  This window is one of two that house a lot of cat paraphernalia.  You just always have to wonder.

Said the cat....

Then there is the church with the rad gargoyles that also sports their Bible- school ads on the reverse of a banner advertising sale-priced beer.  What?  Are my parents running this thing?  If so, your kids will learn nothing about the Bible.



And, lastly, I finally snapped a shot of the ice cream truck that drives by every night at 10:38PM.  I know, you would think with such accuracy it wouldn't be that hard to get a shot, but again.... camera access.  So last, I got it.  It is completely reminiscent of the "24-hour Flower Shops" in Houston.  Obviously the need for flowers at 3AM isn't all that great, likewise, who lets their kids run out to an ice cream van when it is dark?
Sunday's full album

No comments:

Post a Comment