Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Road that Falls Under the Ocean



I have always found a great fondness for tunnels.  Between the lighting, tiled (East) rock (West) walls, and the general idea of driving through something as massive as a mountain, just always seems to make me feel like I am in a Rock video.  But today, blew my mind.  In an attempt to find a shopping location with 1.  A Target  2. A Sears and 3. A Bed Bath and Beyond (Gift cards unused after many years of having none of these in Gallup), I hit the jackpot with Whitemarsh, MD.  
My Google navigation took me on a pretty interesting route to get there.  I drove through pretty much the entire city East to West.  So, when I noticed a sign for I-95 right by the mall, I thought... stupid Google.  I live right off of I-95.  But a'las... I have my navigation set to avoid tolls and getting on I-95 took me through one of the craziest F'ing things I've ever seen.  I drove directly under the ocean.  
From the photo above, you can see that it looks like the freeway disappears.  Well, in fact, it takes a few mile jaunt under the Baltimore harbor, dropping you off about 2 miles from my house.  There were a few moments of slight claustrophobia, and, to the dismay of all the drivers directed to stay in their lane of origin, I held an exact and steady 55 mph.  All this for the bargain price of $2.  I need to figure out how to get an EZ-Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment