Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fireflies

I'll be honest, most of this blog is going to be biased toward the West, but one thing we are significantly lacking is this:  Fireflies.  This is not a product of Photoshop.  This is what it looks like here at night.  I only knew fireflies, or lightening bugs, as a part of Where the Red Fern Grows.  I remember the first time I saw one.  It was the 4th of July about 7 years ago and I thought that they were the offshoot of someone's fireworks.  But, tonight, on the drive home, what I saw was a million comets shooting through the trees and tall grass that grows alongside the roads.  When we came to a stop I thought that it was the perfect opportunity to show the fireflies streaming underneath the stars.  To the eye, they played together, but to the lens the bugs outdid the stars.  Its one of those things that while common to people here, seems so foreign, as in alien foreign, to me.  I've seen spectacular things, but this is one of the most majestic acts of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment