Monday, June 13, 2011

Crossed Off The List: The Senator Theater

Just because it is crossed off, doesn't mean I wouldn't go back.  This theater caught my attention last week, because it was listed in Flavorwire.com's "Best Movie Theaters in America" list.  Coming in just behind one of my other favorites (The Alamo in Austin), the Senator was prime to-do material.  Luckily, we already had plans to see Super 8.  
The Babcock, Billings, MT
Premiere slabs outside The Senator
The Senator, Balimore
Originally opened in 1939, this single-screen, 900-seat Art Deco landmark has been fully restored and currently shows first-run titles. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989, the theater’s lobby includes the original terrazzo floors and murals, and the 40 foot curved screen is revealed at each screening by the opening of a massive gold curtain. In recent years, the Senator has faced threats of auction and foreclosure, but it has managed to stay open thanks to support from the community and City of Baltimore. Our own Judy Berman sings the Senator’s praises: “They’ve had all kinds of trouble staying open, and ownership has changed hands many times, but no matter who owns it, nothing beats the experience of seeing a film in one of America’s few remaining classic movie palaces.”--Flavorwire
Senator Interior
But this landmark, isn't just a new Easterly experience.  In fact, it reminds me of the Babcock theater back home.  It may house bands and boxing today, but I remember my parents dropping me and my brother off to see Beverly Hills Cop II back in the day.  My dad even gave the usher $20 to let us in, even though it was rated-R, so that he and my mom could go out without us.  Since it was the only theater downtown, it worked out well for us, and presumably my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment